Common questions about passing and failing in engineering

In the last 2 years, i have received hundreds of different questions and queries regarding passing and failing in engineering, mainly in Maharashtra colleges, Mumbai and Pune universities. Since i did not have the time to personally answer each and every one of them, i have now compiled it into one post here. some of them are good questions, and some are silly, but i answered them nonetheless.

1.Are grace marks given at golden subject in engineering

2.Can we get admission in engineering if there is a atkt in diploma

3.How to clear engineering avoiding kts

4.Is grace marking available for F.E in university of Pune

5.Is it a sin to have an ATKT in engineering

6.Maximum KTs in engineering

7.Not eligible for technical education rule Mumbai University

8.How to prevent a drop in 2nd year engineering

9.By giving money, does atkt get cleared

10.What to do if you fail one year in engineering

———————————————————————————————————————————————-

1.Are grace marks given at golden subject in engineering?

It is an unsaid rule,but your golden subject or if you have one subject pending in need of passing, you can get upto 1% of total marks in that subject to clear. If paper is of 40 marks, and you have 37, you get graced. If its your fresh attempt, and just one subject left, you can easily get 7-8 marks to pass,

2.Can we get admission in engineering if there is a atkt in diploma?

In the CAP rounds you need to provide documents of  Diploma passing showing you have atleast 45% for general category and 40% for SC/ST category.It has to be clear result without atkt.

3.How to clear engineering avoiding KTs

The first think i tell everyone..is as far as possible,, join classes.Not only for better notes, but you start getting involved with the subject much earlier on,otherwise you would start the subject just 1 month before. This way you can get acquainted with the chapters and concepts atleast 5 months before hand.

Another way is to make lots of diagrams and write lots of content.If there is a subject with little theory in it and more concepts, do the thoery and derivations  100% and get those 15-20 marks, it will help you to reach 40.I passed my CP2 paper without learning one line of programming.

4.Are grace marks available for F.E university of Pune?

Same as Mumbai university, Pune university gives grace marks in fresh attempt, in one subject, provided you have cleared all the other subjects.

5.Is it a sin to have an ATKT in engineering?

I got this question a few days back. Im not sure how religion and engineering got mixed up, but engineering in Mumbai/Pune and Maharashtra Universities are so hard that i think even if god gave a paper without studying, he would get a KT in it.You need to work very hard,8-10 hours a day before your exams and if you cannot do that, you shouldn’t be doing engineering.

6.what maximum KTs can you have in engineering?

At the end of 4 years, it depends on what your talking. For some big government sector companies like Bhel and private companies like Infosys, ask for 65% average for all 4 years, meaning of course you have to all clear through out. Others check only the final year result, and getting a first class there is an advantage. If you plan on going abroad after engineering, some countries have an unsaid rule for a 6 KT maximum for all four years.

7.Is Not eligible for technical education rule Mumbai university?

Also known as NFTE -not fit for technical education rule is implemented when the student is given 8 attempts to clear a subject and even after that he/she cannot pass it.I dont know anyone who has been thrown out of engineering by this rule,because most people somehow manage to pass within 8 attempts. This is given because the syllabus keeps changing every 5 years or so, which is about 10 attempts of a particular course, after which the new course prevails.So after the new course sets in, they still set about 4 more papers for the old course, and those 4 attempts will of course be your last 4 attempts.

8.How to prevent a drop in the 2nd year engineering?

The sem3 is not so hard compared to first year subjects, and many subjects are common for most branches. The key to clearing 2nd year, depends on your first year subjects, and how fast you can clear the backlog. If you scrape through first year with 5 kts, you will be left with 11 subjects to study for with 6 more coming from SEM 4. Its extremely hard psychologically when it goes into double figures, and second year engineering  if cleared ,can ensure you complete your degree in 4 years.

So, Firstly 5 subjects out of 6 from sem 3 should be attempted very well along with 3 from F.E .Out of 8, six can be cleared successfully, that still leaves you with 11 subjects again along with SEM 4. Now you need to clear 6 subjects again to end up with 5 to pass the year.Aim for 4 subjects from SEM 4 and  all the rest from sem1,2,3. Since those are older subjects, you have better understanding of them.Out of 9, you can take out 6 again to leave you with 5 .

The mistake most people do, is that they attempt all 6 subjects of the fresh semester.

9.By giving money,does ATKT get cleared?

Since this is a public discussion,i cannot say yes.There “may have been” instances when rumours are spread about someone clearing KTs, but the only people who can pass or fail you are the paper checkers, in most cases, your subject profs, or the HOD who sometimes corrects papers.

10.What to do if you fail one year in engineering?

Do the same like i did, get some work experience. You will be one step ahead of others who dont have a drop.Out of the 10 months you have in your drop, work for 5 months and prepare for your KTs for the other 5 months.The best paying jobs are BPO jobs, that need only a 10+2 education. Voice process can pay you maximum atleast 15k a month.You get good experience at a job enviroment and good pocket money.I know people who left engineering in thier drop years because they loved the job so much.

, , ,

748 Responses to Common questions about passing and failing in engineering

1. Satish Ghonmode October 31, 2016 at 1:31 pm #

Hello All,

I was an engineering student. I got ATKT in TE. I took admission in BE, completed the academic year. Submitted the project and Termwork. This happened 10 years back. I didn’t give any exams for TE or BE. However I was in Bharti vidyapeeth (Pune Univeristy) but, now it is deemed university. Where do I need to inquire about if I should be able to complete the degree or not? I seriously want to complete it now.

Thanks,

Satish

2. Saiel Sharma October 28, 2016 at 1:20 pm #

I was able to submit only 4 practicals in a subject in my 7th semester due to various reasons. Do professors fail in term work? I am scared

• jojo22 October 31, 2016 at 4:45 am #

yes u can get a kt in the subject becuase of it, if u have any doubt go to the prof directly and confirm it

3. Name October 22, 2016 at 5:15 am #

My prof scares me to fail me in my term work that is 25 marks that the professors have in their hand as I haven’t attended 50% of my practicals. Let’s say he does fail me, what would that mean an internal KT an overall KT or a year drop. Thank you in advance

• jojo22 November 14, 2016 at 7:55 am #

i know of this, ive seen it happen, the prof failed him in TW and he got a drop,,be careful,,i dont know now how much it can hurt since there is online component also

4. Rajdeep October 14, 2016 at 7:45 pm #

Sir
    I am doing diploma from wbscte. In my 4th sem result it’s written fail,means what???
    I have to study again one year…..
    Or can I challenge my all paper,because I know I can pass???
    What the process. …Help! !!!
    Plzz

• jojo22 October 17, 2016 at 4:15 am #

even if u get 1 kt it comes as fail,,so check the kt rule and how many u got

5. Navanath October 12, 2016 at 6:44 am #

I have in g scheme how many marks give to one subject pass 40 or 50 please answer

6. Meet October 5, 2016 at 3:36 pm #

I m in sem3 right now and I have got a kt of sem1 , is this my last attempt to clear my sem1 kt? Or will I get an another chance to clear it in sem4 ?

• jojo22 October 10, 2016 at 10:52 am #

yes one more chance u have

7. anmol September 23, 2016 at 7:00 pm #

sir i have 6 backlogs in 2nd year can i eligible for 3rd year of BE??

8. kavya September 1, 2016 at 9:02 pm #

Sir,
    I have a m2 golden kt . I’m in 3rd year now. after reval the result was 24. is there any way i can pass or i will definitely get a drop? I’m from Mumbai university.

• jojo22 September 5, 2016 at 5:26 am #

looks like a drop,,

9. amar August 27, 2016 at 8:11 am #

my friend got a drop wit 6 kt in fe…i read..smwhr on the blog tht…the clg teachers…can help with one kt…i mean..they can..do smthing..wit it…if we talk wit them…is it true…should my friend try it..??

• jojo22 September 12, 2016 at 4:46 am #

no guarantees any of this wil owrk but give it a shot

10. prajnay August 23, 2016 at 1:18 pm #

I hav 7 kts in 1 year (mumbai university)nd now a drop…how many kts should i clear to avoid golden kt nd have less pressure in 4 sem.
    I hav kts in all main sub like EM,SPA,MATHS 1&2 , ED

• jojo22 September 5, 2016 at 5:29 am #

choose 3-4 subjects out o 7 and do themreally well enough to clear,,keep that your strategy

11. prajnay August 23, 2016 at 1:14 pm #

I have 7 kts(sem1+sem2) mumbai university..nd know i hav got a year drop…so how many papers should i study nd clear to avoid golden kt nd pressure for 4 sem?

12. Amar Mohite August 22, 2016 at 6:34 am #

I have 6 sub back in 2nd year.can I eligible for 3rd year exam?

• priti jain September 13, 2016 at 4:53 am #

Yes Through patarachar you can apply for all exams. Practical private candidates ke liye nhi hotey . Rest You can figure out properly from your nearby Patrachar office

13. Rohit August 21, 2016 at 1:28 pm #

What is the police for going to second year for first year year down student of 2015 pattern who got 23 credit having backlog in 6 subjects

14. Ritwick August 21, 2016 at 1:27 pm #

What is the police for going to second year for first year year down student of 2015 pattern who got 23 credit and have backlog in 6 subjects

• jojo22 September 5, 2016 at 5:32 am #

not so familiar with cbgs system

15. Taha Dhailey August 20, 2016 at 6:19 pm #

I got 37 in sem 7 resived syllabus and i failed. what can i do it was my KT paper.???

• jojo22 September 5, 2016 at 5:31 am #

try the reval,,coz 37 is border,u might get lucky

16. Taxa August 16, 2016 at 8:54 pm #

I got 37 in SEM VII KT paper revised syllabus and it was the only subject left in my degree but still the University failed me. I am very depressed now. I had KT in 2 papers gave both for reval got 40 in one and 37 in other. Is there anything i can do?

• jojo22 September 5, 2016 at 5:33 am #

y u depressed,,start a job and forget about it,,and clear it later on

• Taxa October 14, 2016 at 2:08 pm #

But u told it is an unsaid golden rule that 3 grace marks are given if only one subject is remaining. Because of 3 marks i could not get my degree.

• jojo22 October 17, 2016 at 4:10 am #

it is at the descretion of the paper checker,,i have failed many times at 37

17. Pritam August 13, 2016 at 7:21 pm #

I got 75.44% marks in msbte summer 2016 4th sem exam in diploma in mechanical engg msbte ……how I will get % in 5 th and 6 th semester ….plz give feedback plz……ani help for getting better % than 4 th sem

18. Sahil Mishra August 9, 2016 at 6:24 pm #

Hello sir,
    I’m in third year engineering college Mumbai. I have got double drop. I have 7 kts. With numbers 27 , 19 , 17 , 12 , 15 , ab , ab. I’m giving all eligible subjects for revaluation. I’m scared. Is there any way I can clear 2 subjects with money ?? How can I contact you personally ?? Please I’m scared. I don’t want double drop now.

• jojo22 August 11, 2016 at 5:39 pm #

dont think of clearing anything with money, it will become a bad habit..but however bitter and hard it wil be ,take the double drop,,it ill make u stronger,,belive me

• sachin August 15, 2016 at 5:04 pm #

Minimum marks required to pass?

19. Gaurav August 6, 2016 at 7:34 pm #

I have completed my.3rd year of my btechin 2015
    I took admission in2013 by lateral entry in b.tech civil
    I got govt job in auug 2015 on the basis of my diploma
    Nao i have dropped a year…nd stil m nt getting leave frm my department. ..how can i complete it.. nd wat is the maxium time till what i can complete it… its 5 years or 8??
    Plz help

20. Vishal August 5, 2016 at 8:48 am #

Sir i have only one backlog in first year of polytechnic diploma that i have cleared in second attempt. Now i have completed my diploma with 74% aggregate so can i take education loan from a govt. bank for b.tech. Will they deny to give the loan due to that backlog?

• jojo22 August 6, 2016 at 10:30 am #

shouldnt be a problem, have u secured admission in a recognised btech college?if yes then you have a greater chance, visit 5-6 banks and take the best offer

• Vishal August 8, 2016 at 3:46 am #

Yes, i have secured my admission in a recognized B.tech private university. Does only one backlog would affect my loan that I’ve cleared?

21. anup August 3, 2016 at 3:05 pm #

sir,
    in Savitribai Phule Pune University
    after 2nd semester i have backlog in 6 subjects,my total credit is 23,i heard that we need atleast 25 credits for going to the 2nd year, otherwise yearback, am i eligible for next year,please help meeeee

• jojo22 August 6, 2016 at 10:30 am #

dont have much idea about the credit system

22. Saifali July 30, 2016 at 12:22 pm #

I HV yd 3times in FE can I get admission in other clg from 1st yr BE

23. Khaleel July 30, 2016 at 12:12 pm #

I failed in Mathematics 2 in the first year with 23 marks of 30 .
    Can it be cleared in the revaluation

• jojo22 August 6, 2016 at 10:32 am #

dsnt seem so

• p.anusha August 27, 2016 at 1:49 pm #

only diploma first year mathematics and third sem mathematics fail job join chastara chapara msg chayadi okna plz
      sir

24. Drashti July 29, 2016 at 1:43 pm #

Sir,
    I’ve got a double drop now. I wish to continue engineering. Also I want to do masters from USA… How will my double drop affect it? If I overall score well in next attempts on my subjects and score good GRE will I gt admission in USA? Does doing internship now will count then?

• jojo22 July 29, 2016 at 5:09 pm #

your choice of colleges will reduce that all,,

25. vijay July 27, 2016 at 12:12 pm #

Sir i am confused… My 2nd sem one subject back with 8marks can i get admition in 3 rd year cleared 3 rd sem sir please answer me

• jojo22 July 27, 2016 at 5:06 pm #

u need 2nd sem clear for 3rd year admission

26. Sonali July 26, 2016 at 10:46 am #

Sir ,
    I have 1 kt in 3rd sem of diploma , my last yr is clear with 75% can i take admission in direct second year of engineering?

• jojo22 July 27, 2016 at 5:07 pm #

u need diploma full clear to apply for second year degree engg

27. Ronak July 25, 2016 at 5:38 pm #

I got kt in m1 and p2 in Fe and now I m in SE and the portion in Mumbai university is changed…m giving m1 for the 3rd time and p2 for the second..so do I have to give the kt exam of old portion or the new portion? Pls reply

• jojo22 July 26, 2016 at 5:24 pm #

u will get a quetion paper marked OLD on top,,this old sylabus will continue for the next 4-5 exams

28. Asif July 22, 2016 at 3:13 pm #

I have 4 Internal Kts in Sem 4. So am I Eligible for TE . . ?

29. Sujay July 21, 2016 at 6:10 am #

Does university of pune deduct marks after revaluation process ??

30. Aditya kadam July 20, 2016 at 9:12 am #

Hi ! I want to know will i get condo in my marksheet because i got 27 * in drs before reassesment photocopy & now i got 34 after reassesment will i get that condo beacuse i am in my final year of diploma plz reply !!!!

• jojo22 July 26, 2016 at 5:39 pm #

im not too familiar with diploma rules but if 40 is passing u have chance

31. Shaikh Rizwan July 20, 2016 at 7:11 am #

I have 5 kt’s in 6th sem n 1 practical kt in 5th sem.i appear for 7th sem or not???

32. Nishant July 19, 2016 at 8:24 am #

hello sir i am in 1st year i failed in first year and i get a chance to get pass in one year but again i failed ,will i get another chance?

• jojo22 July 26, 2016 at 5:40 pm #

yes u can apppear again

33. Rishi kesh July 15, 2016 at 8:40 pm #

I have 11 subjects back in 2 year(including 4 labs)..but no 1st year back..will I have to repeat whole 2 year again this year?? Or first they will allow me to do 3rd year first ..

• jojo22 July 26, 2016 at 5:42 pm #

if u are eligible for 3rd year,,which i dont think,,then u can,,but u ned to clear atleast 6 or 8 to reach 3rd year

34. Neha July 13, 2016 at 11:34 am #

I had a drop in first year, now dat I have cleared 5 kts out of 6. M I eligible to second year now? Mumbai university

35. Vedanshu July 13, 2016 at 9:38 am #

I gave my golden m3 Mumbai university exam and left over with only 1 subject I scored 27/80 in m3 will I be able to get grace in re-evaluation ..!!! I am tensed pls help me .!!! I just need 5 marks to pass

• jojo22 July 27, 2016 at 5:09 pm #

chances are les in a kt paper

36. priyanka July 13, 2016 at 6:36 am #

sir I have year down in second year now I again want to take admission in second year externally. I have completed my diploma. will I able to take?

• jojo22 July 27, 2016 at 5:10 pm #

u can take admission externally in FE not SE

37. Almas July 12, 2016 at 6:23 pm #

Eccf subject
    Sem 3
    Mumbai university..
    Easy or hard??
    Plz explain..
    Is it theoratical or numericals jayada hai?

38. sam July 12, 2016 at 10:14 am #

Recently I came to know that the SPPU has passed a rule regarding scholarship that if a student gets year drop(YD) for 2 years simultaneously he/she gets will not get the scholarship or freeship for SC/NT/SBC/OBC for engineering. I want to know that is this true? Has this rule really passed?

39. prerna rodge July 7, 2016 at 4:08 pm #

Sir, today the result revaled for eligiblity students of se pune univeristies i got 3 theory pprs and 1 practical plus one oral 3 (th) + 1 (pr) +1 (oral) can i take admission in third year ? In college they are not commenting anything im helpless plz can u ans me asap

40. chinmay July 4, 2016 at 5:03 pm #

I have got 20 marks in diploma subject kt all other subjects are cleared.in result 30 marks are mentioned. I need 40 marks for passing. Are there any chances of passing ????

41. viresh July 1, 2016 at 8:37 pm #

.Is Not eligible for technical education rule Pune university? An sir I did first year subject mechanics 7 attempts but not clear it. Can I eligible for technical degree,, gives me subjects n engineering passing criteria n limits for Pune university

• jojo22 December 5, 2016 at 5:00 am #

u can,,maybe 1-2 more attempts

42. Spandan Joshi July 1, 2016 at 5:00 am #

A very good morning sir, I have just completed my Diploma in Computer Engineering from Gujarat, I want to take D2D admission in Pune. Is it possible? If yes, can you please explain the admission procedure.

Thank You.

43. khan July 1, 2016 at 12:23 am #

Sir i was studing b.e.mech.engg. till 2011 and i got drop in third year after then i had lefted my degree due to my family problem. So i just want to ask u that can i continue my study now from where i had lefted at that time. Or else i have to start it again.

• jojo22 December 5, 2016 at 5:00 am #

u can,,take admission in college again

44. Nihal June 30, 2016 at 5:06 pm #

Sir , I hve cleared all my subjects in the 6th sem of the 3rd year of diploma in mechanical engineering MSBTE (Maharashtra board). But unfortunately I was not able to clear my KT subject of Applied Mathematics (M3). I scored 32 in that subject and I have sent it for rechecking. What are the possibilities for me to get 40 marks in order to pass? Or how the gace marks system will apply to me ?

• jojo22 January 22, 2017 at 4:19 am #

to get 5-6 marks after rechecking is difficult, but f u cleared al others in fresh ttempt then even 3-4 marks from rechecking can clear u

45. sourabh June 29, 2016 at 6:22 pm #

hello sir, i have failed 3 times in F.E of pune university can i eligible for next attempt and if yes so may i have to attempt it or leave it??? i am intrested in computer programming and also having lots of knowledge about it so in which stream i hav to go for?? and i want to go only for computer related programs so plz request you to guide me well, i wiil be very thankful.

• jojo22 January 22, 2017 at 4:22 am #

FE is hard,,but in which subject are failing,,find that out,,and what same mitake are u doing everytime?

46. Kavit mehta June 29, 2016 at 2:00 pm #

I just gave Sem 4 and I think I may not pass in maths-2 from Sem 2 .i am from Mumbai university.so if I am not able to pass maths-2 then will I have to give all the Sem 2 subjects in the drop year or only the maths-2 again?

47. aakash June 24, 2016 at 10:46 am #

sir i am in 2 year cse engineering and i have got back in one subject in 2 sem and will clear it in 3 sem
    will it effect me in future

• jojo22 June 26, 2016 at 4:22 am #

no, dont think so far, concenterate on the current sem only

• Satay July 11, 2016 at 5:53 pm #

Sir does an internal kt of Mumbai university show up on transcript and does it affect in admission process for MS in US

48. Karan June 23, 2016 at 7:25 am #

Sir

I have 6 kts in my second year computer engineering in pune university which is year drop??. If I give for revaluation n clear one will I get atkt?? I got 12 marks in two theory papers will I get grace marks after results r announced n if I apply for revaluation can they give grace marks at that time. Please let me know urgently

• jojo22 June 26, 2016 at 4:25 am #

dont rely on rechecking for anything, its difficult to pass from that, in any case even if u pass 1, taking 5 kts to the next year will be a big burden

49. Ajay June 23, 2016 at 4:15 am #

Sir I am in final year,in B.A.M.U. Aurangabad… I want to know that if clear all 9sub and one subject I left with 6or 7marks including my cls test mark also can I get grace???

• jojo22 June 26, 2016 at 4:26 am #

mum univerty gives 1% grace mrks for one subject, so im guessing if u qualify for it u will get it

50. Bhagyashri jiddewar June 21, 2016 at 8:41 pm #

Hello sir i am d engg stud of mumbai university how many attempts to clear d sub if not clear in that attempts so what will be d concequences??

• jojo22 June 26, 2016 at 4:27 am #

when i did engg there was no such limit, just try and finish in 7-8 atemts if possible