Common questions about passing and failing in engineering

In the last 2 years, i have received hundreds of different questions and queries regarding passing and failing in engineering, mainly in Maharashtra colleges, Mumbai and Pune universities. Since i did not have the time to personally answer each and every one of them, i have now compiled it into one post here. some of them are good questions, and some are silly, but i answered them nonetheless.

1.Are grace marks given at golden subject in engineering

2.Can we get admission in engineering if there is a atkt in diploma

3.How to clear engineering avoiding kts

4.Is grace marking available for F.E in university of Pune

5.Is it a sin to have an ATKT in engineering

6.Maximum KTs in engineering

7.Not eligible for technical education rule Mumbai University

8.How to prevent a drop in 2nd year engineering

9.By giving money, does atkt get cleared

10.What to do if you fail one year in engineering

———————————————————————————————————————————————-

1.Are grace marks given at golden subject in engineering?

It is an unsaid rule,but your golden subject or if you have one subject pending in need of passing, you can get upto 1% of total marks in that subject to clear. If paper is of 40 marks, and you have 37, you get graced. If its your fresh attempt, and just one subject left, you can easily get 7-8 marks to pass,

2.Can we get admission in engineering if there is a atkt in diploma?

In the CAP rounds you need to provide documents of  Diploma passing showing you have atleast 45% for general category and 40% for SC/ST category.It has to be clear result without atkt.

3.How to clear engineering avoiding KTs

The first think i tell everyone..is as far as possible,, join classes.Not only for better notes, but you start getting involved with the subject much earlier on,otherwise you would start the subject just 1 month before. This way you can get acquainted with the chapters and concepts atleast 5 months before hand.

Another way is to make lots of diagrams and write lots of content.If there is a subject with little theory in it and more concepts, do the thoery and derivations  100% and get those 15-20 marks, it will help you to reach 40.I passed my CP2 paper without learning one line of programming.

4.Are grace marks available for F.E university of Pune?

Same as Mumbai university, Pune university gives grace marks in fresh attempt, in one subject, provided you have cleared all the other subjects.

5.Is it a sin to have an ATKT in engineering?

I got this question a few days back. Im not sure how religion and engineering got mixed up, but engineering in Mumbai/Pune and Maharashtra Universities are so hard that i think even if god gave a paper without studying, he would get a KT in it.You need to work very hard,8-10 hours a day before your exams and if you cannot do that, you shouldn’t be doing engineering.

6.what maximum KTs can you have in engineering?

At the end of 4 years, it depends on what your talking. For some big government sector companies like Bhel and private companies like Infosys, ask for 65% average for all 4 years, meaning of course you have to all clear through out. Others check only the final year result, and getting a first class there is an advantage. If you plan on going abroad after engineering, some countries have an unsaid rule for a 6 KT maximum for all four years.

7.Is Not eligible for technical education rule Mumbai university?

Also known as NFTE -not fit for technical education rule is implemented when the student is given 8 attempts to clear a subject and even after that he/she cannot pass it.I dont know anyone who has been thrown out of engineering by this rule,because most people somehow manage to pass within 8 attempts. This is given because the syllabus keeps changing every 5 years or so, which is about 10 attempts of a particular course, after which the new course prevails.So after the new course sets in, they still set about 4 more papers for the old course, and those 4 attempts will of course be your last 4 attempts.

8.How to prevent a drop in the 2nd year engineering?

The sem3 is not so hard compared to first year subjects, and many subjects are common for most branches. The key to clearing 2nd year, depends on your first year subjects, and how fast you can clear the backlog. If you scrape through first year with 5 kts, you will be left with 11 subjects to study for with 6 more coming from SEM 4. Its extremely hard psychologically when it goes into double figures, and second year engineering  if cleared ,can ensure you complete your degree in 4 years.

So, Firstly 5 subjects out of 6 from sem 3 should be attempted very well along with 3 from F.E .Out of 8, six can be cleared successfully, that still leaves you with 11 subjects again along with SEM 4. Now you need to clear 6 subjects again to end up with 5 to pass the year.Aim for 4 subjects from SEM 4 and  all the rest from sem1,2,3. Since those are older subjects, you have better understanding of them.Out of 9, you can take out 6 again to leave you with 5 .

The mistake most people do, is that they attempt all 6 subjects of the fresh semester.

9.By giving money,does ATKT get cleared?

Since this is a public discussion,i cannot say yes.There “may have been” instances when rumours are spread about someone clearing KTs, but the only people who can pass or fail you are the paper checkers, in most cases, your subject profs, or the HOD who sometimes corrects papers.

10.What to do if you fail one year in engineering?

Do the same like i did, get some work experience. You will be one step ahead of others who dont have a drop.Out of the 10 months you have in your drop, work for 5 months and prepare for your KTs for the other 5 months.The best paying jobs are BPO jobs, that need only a 10+2 education. Voice process can pay you maximum atleast 15k a month.You get good experience at a job enviroment and good pocket money.I know people who left engineering in thier drop years because they loved the job so much.

, , ,

748 Responses to Common questions about passing and failing in engineering

1. sunil September 10, 2017 at 3:50 am #

Is kt in autocad practical exam considered internal kt or external?
    I have 5 external kts in f.e. and 1 autocad kt…
    Will it br considered internal or external?
    Please reply ASAP!!!

2. Anuraf September 1, 2017 at 9:47 am #

Til how many years I can give my diploma exams? I got my admission in 2011-12 batch.

3. Deeksha vijay borse August 25, 2017 at 2:51 pm #

I have got 23 in one subjet…absent mark in 1 subject..ani 1 subjet is marked with 0 marks…and result is “held in Reserve”..they told that both absent and 0 mark paper are not checked.i have confidence that it will get passed..but mumbai university will give me grace for that 23 marks?
    Plz reply for this very soon
    Can i get grace in the subject with 23 marks

• jojo22 August 30, 2017 at 2:24 pm #

• govind September 20, 2017 at 5:14 pm #

can i pass my unit test of chemistry as i was absent in 1st unit test due to some reason

4. chandu August 7, 2017 at 7:09 am #

Now im going to 3rd year but i have 1 back in 2nd sem if it fails do i loss of one year please say to vtu cancel these rules. 4 back can enter next year but 1 back cant enter next year. please we need some justice.

5. Audi August 5, 2017 at 1:47 am #

Sir iam from 2012 pattern..
    My 2 subjects are back
    M2 32 and mech 33
    In photocopy my 5/6 marks are increasing in m2
    So total is becoming 37/38
    Also mechanics marks can get increase
    My que is does pune university give cutoff for above 2 critical subjects?
    Bcz if i get $ for m2 i may not get grace for mechanics

• jojo22 August 26, 2017 at 1:20 pm #

i know ppl who fail at 37
      and 38 is not official

6. Dhruv August 3, 2017 at 12:10 pm #

Hii sir I had 2 kt in SEM 1. I had kt’s in mechanics and bee. After giving the kt paper I cleared mechanics but couldn’t clear bee. I got 27/80 in bee so I need more 5 marks to clear it. Should I go for revaluation? I am 100% sure that I can easily score 40/80 in bee. Since it’s a kt paper can I get grace marks ? I am a student from Mumbai university.

• jojo22 August 30, 2017 at 2:20 pm #

its very rare to increase marks in reval, but if u want to take a chance then go ahead, u wont get grace but

7. Simran July 29, 2017 at 5:39 am #

I m fe student. And is year down in fe . So there will be any complication in future for placements

• jojo22 August 14, 2017 at 6:54 am #

dont think of placements etc so early,,just concnetrate on clearing your backlog at this time

8. Eshant July 26, 2017 at 3:51 pm #

Sir my 2nd year of diploma is reback means 2nd time back so what I do my best for to take admission in 3rd year or clear all sub. Of 2nd year.
    Plz sir tell me what should I do?
    Plz sir plz reply it is my humble request to you

• jojo22 August 26, 2017 at 1:21 pm #

if there are few kts and u feel u can handle both 2nd and 3rd year then go ahead, but i think u can go for the third year,,else u will lose motivation

9. Praveen July 10, 2017 at 1:38 pm #

In how many years do we need to pass engineering , I heard that it’s 8 years …Plzz let me know

• jojo22 August 26, 2017 at 1:22 pm #

many ppl say 8 years, but i dont think its official rule

10. Uma July 6, 2017 at 6:34 pm #

I have gone to 3rd year … but my 1st year 1 subject is not clear. ..so would i go to 3rd year

11. saurabh July 1, 2017 at 7:19 am #

If igot atkt then according to rules i solve only those subjects which are back or all including passed subjects?

12. Pakshil June 15, 2017 at 3:09 pm #

Sir in rtmnu minimum how many subjects should be cleared in 1st year to take admission in 2nd year

13. reeta June 14, 2017 at 2:26 pm #

Sir,I have to take admission to 3rd year diploma But my result status is 2nd sem:fail ,3rd sem: ATKT& 4th sem:F.T LSP
    So please can u tell me that I will be eligible for admission to 3rd year??&&If your answer is NO then Please tell me what should I do?? Which semester shall I clear To go for 3rd year
    SIR,PLZ REPLY IT IS my humble request to you

• Eshant July 26, 2017 at 3:53 pm #

Miss reeta can u get reply or answer of u r questions ur asked from the source plz tell me early as possible

14. jaiky June 14, 2017 at 7:57 am #

Is there NFTE applicable in Diploma??? If yes what is the total duration to complete diploma befor getting NFTe?

• jojo22 June 19, 2017 at 6:33 am #

not heard of nfte in diploma

15. sumit kumar singh June 9, 2017 at 8:45 am #

sir …my result is come on 8/06/17 .i pass in geology but get 63 mark in thearoy but in reslut .partical may AB*wirten plz help my sir … i was given the pirtical of goelogy

16. Rajesh June 8, 2017 at 1:00 pm #

Sir I have Passed My Third Year Diploma In Computer Engineering…
    But I Have Failed In 3rd Sem maths by 3 marks Again..
    Only One Subject ..just 3 marks
    Will they pass me?

• jojo22 August 26, 2017 at 1:24 pm #

im not sure of diploma rules but if u were supposed to pass it would show pass class, not fail

17. Prakriti June 8, 2017 at 10:59 am #

Is it good to write extra questions in engineering?
    Like if we attempt all the six quetns then which ones are considered in totalling for marks

• jojo22 August 26, 2017 at 1:24 pm #

if u want to fool the paper checker then u can 😛

18. Mohit June 8, 2017 at 12:47 am #

In Nagpur University How many subjects cleared in 2nd year to take admission in 3rd year

19. Radhika June 4, 2017 at 11:09 am #

Sir, I’m in first year and I had 3Kt in Semester 1 but I’m sure of passing in 2subjects. So will I get grace in KT paper? Because you said fresh attempts get 7-8marks grace easily!

• jojo22 June 19, 2017 at 6:35 am #

fresh means first attempt not kt

20. Shubham May 22, 2017 at 4:27 am #

I am in BE now.. I have scored 29/30 in my insem exam but I’ll get only 10-12 marks out of 70 in endsem exam which was held recently. And I am passing in all the rest of the papers. Will i clear that one subject knowing that there is separate passing criteria?
    SPPU has a new pattern of separate passing if u would know about this. U hv to score 28/70 to pass but if u fail to do so u get grace marks UpTo 9 marks. Unfortunately I am not able to fulfil that criteria even… Some people say that they’ll get me through if I pass in remaining of the exam and some said that it won’t happen….
    Please anyone has a perfect solution to this please reply coz my degree is at a stake..

21. Tejas patil May 20, 2017 at 12:52 pm #

Sir…im frm pune University n in 2nd yr engg….i want to knw dat…I hv 1 kt of fst year…so if i fail will i get ordinance mks….bt in another sub of fst yr i hv got 1 grace mks….

22. Asia May 17, 2017 at 11:43 am #

Do we get Steps marks in maths 2 .i am in Mumbai university

• jojo22 June 3, 2017 at 5:08 pm #

• Kk June 10, 2017 at 3:36 am #

Sir i am studying civil diploma
        Which courses are better other than autocad

23. HeyNeed help May 15, 2017 at 4:52 pm #

Hey I have 1 viva kt in sem6 present ..so if I clear sem 6th all subjects ..wil I get grace marks in internal,.
    Like I have given my all kt papers ..sem 4 I have 1 kt in dec
    Sem 6 in viva.
    Wil I get cleared in sem 6 ..or not because I have one kt in sem4 too.

Is it counted like grace given if all kts of all sem is to be cleared or each sem ?

• jojo22 August 26, 2017 at 1:26 pm #

no, grace rules as far as i know happen only for theory

24. vivek May 13, 2017 at 4:44 pm #

• vivek May 13, 2017 at 4:46 pm #

Sir i got 21 marks in TOC endsem TE 1st sem.But after reval i got 27 marks in endsem.so total is 27+12=39.can i get 1 mark grace in hardcopy of marksheet???.All other subjects are clear.

25. muskaan malik May 13, 2017 at 5:26 am #

sir will it be counted as an attempt if I have filled the exam form but have not appeared for it

• jojo22 June 3, 2017 at 5:10 pm #

no one is sitting to count your attempts

26. muskaan malik May 13, 2017 at 5:16 am #

sir u said that there are only 8 attempts to u give a paper then what if we fill the exam form n not appear for it due to some reason, will it be counted as an attempt too?

• jojo22 June 3, 2017 at 5:10 pm #

you can give the paper as long as they are printing it,,until they say it is the last attempt for old course

27. Prateek May 8, 2017 at 1:31 pm #

Hello sir.
    I made an attempt for the golden subject Mathematics 3 recently 2 days ago.
    I was absent for the same subject in 2nd year 2nd semester.I have attempted half paper now.
    I am worried about passing it.Do i get condole or grace marks if i was absent for that paper in past?

28. Shukla Dhaval May 1, 2017 at 4:19 pm #

If we have failed one time in GTU Exam,we can give a Second time that exam?

29. Vaibhav328 April 26, 2017 at 7:22 pm #

Can we ge condolence marks for 2 subjects frm different sem nd year if the percentage are above 50% in diploma??

30. Hayyan April 22, 2017 at 4:28 pm #

Minimum subject for year drop in diploma in FY