Passing marks out of 50 in Pune University (SPPU) – In Engineering in Pune University there are 8 semesters and the passing marks and criteria is different for the first 4 semesters and different for the latter semesters of 5,6,7,8.
Ill explain it here:
Passing marks out of 50 in engineering
In semesters 1 to 4 there are 2 main tests for each subject in a semester which are both of 50 marks each.The internal test of 50 marks and the theory exam of 50 marks.
Now for each of these 50 marks tests,the passing marks are 20 marks.When added together,the passing marks for the entire subject are 40 marks. (20+20)
So,out of 50 marks – the passing grade is 20.
Now if you get 37 out of 100 as the full total,in most universities,it will be rounded off to 40 and you will pass.
Breakup of marks in engineering examinations (updated )
In FE and SE there are 3 exams
– 1)Internal online exam 25 marks objective type +
2)Internal online exam 25 marks +
3)End semester exam(ESE) theory paper of 50 marks –
= total 100 marks in the year.
Minimum passing is 40% marks in ESE and also average of 1+2+3 should also be 40%.There is no minimum passing in online exams however to be on the safe side its advisable to attain atleast 20 marks out of 50 in the online exams also.
In TE and FE there are 2 exams
– Internal written exam of 30 marks + End semester written exam of 70 marks – total 100 marks
Passing marks for engineering in SPPU (updated)
===> For Viva,practicals or term work – passing is 40% in each subject
===>For theory written papers – passing is 40% in end semester and also average of both end semester and internal (in semester) should also be min 40%.
Passing marks out of 50 in other streams
Besides engineering and other technical courses,passing marks are set at 18 marks for arts,humanities etc.This translates to 36% on a 100 marks paper.
What if you do not get Passing marks ?
If you do not meet the ATKT rules of your university and fail in more than the maximum heads of passing,here are few ways to proceed after that-
- Apply for revaluation/rechecking or re verification. Either you can just opt for getting your marks totaled again or you can get a photocopy of your answer booklet and check it for errors your self.If you are on the edge,there is a good chance you might get an extra mark or two and clear.
- Apply for best of performance – you can fill out the form for best of performance in the examination cell after giving the ATKT paper and if you score above 30 in any subject out of three attempts you can clear BOP.
- Grace Marks – Along with getting condoned,grace marks are given in various scenarios,like getting a higher class,clearing just a single subject after passing all the others etc.These different cases for giving grace marks also help you to go past the passing marks.
Passing marks out of 50 in IGNOU
There are two separate criteria for judging the passing marks in IGNOU.
Out of 50- 20 marks are needed to pass for technical courses and for non technical courses,18 marks are required.
This roughly translates to 36% for non technical and 40% for technical/sciences as can be seen from the notice below.